The biggest breakthrough of all, though, is the use of wireless connectivity for home security systems. Wireless sensors are much easier to install than wired ones, a security system controlled by a cellphone app is much more flexible – and best of all, wireless closed-circuit TV systems make it simple to keep an eye on everything that goes on in and around your house.
Adding CCTV To Your Home
There are two ways you can take advantage of closed-circuit cameras to monitor your home’s security.
- Do-it-yourself CCTV Intercom systems like Ring can be installed by a homeowner who is handy enough to do some basic carpentry work and program the app on his phone or other device. There are some major limitations on these systems, but they’re not bad for simple uses.
- A professional installer can set up both the cameras and the video monitoring for you to your exact specifications.
Owner John Lysy of DTV Installations says this is one of the most common requests his company receives.
A do-it-yourself system will usually let you put one camera at your front door, watch the live video whenever someone approaches or rings the bell, talk to visitors, and have the video recorded to a cloud storage system (usually for an extra fee). Custom CCTV installations do all of that while providing extra levels of security, with cameras in as many locations as you’d like (back or side doors, garages and windows with possible intruder access). A custom system also allows you to save the video to a local hard drive – in case you ever need it for immediate review or to supply the recording to authorities for evidence.
There are additional advantages to using a wireless closed-circuit TV system. Since you’re not dependent on hardwiring, your phone or tablet will give you a real-time look at what’s happening at your door or on your property (and let you have a conversation with your visitors) whether you’re relaxing on the couch or sitting on a remote beach in Hawaii. And if you are on the beach when your children or housecleaner need access to the house, all you have to do is tap a button on your app to let them in.
More Uses For CCTV Security Installations
- Watching a home’s interior to supervise nannies, service providers or contractors while the client is at work.
- Keeping an eye on nurseries or bedrooms to ensure children’s safety once they’re been put to bed.
- Supervising employees at businesses, to prevent or document misbehavior, theft, sexual harassment or waste of company time and resources.